17 April 2011

There's a Whole in My Bucket

A few days back, my cousin mentioned that he had checked a few items off of his bucket list. You all know what that is, right? The list of things you want to accomplish before you kick the bucket. Many of my friends have talked about their bucket lists and even posted them on Facebook as a way to help keep the list always in their mind. I had never really given too much thought to my bucket list beyond a sarcastic reply to questions that start with "Do you want to". Besides, I struggle every day to get done what needs to get done. Why pressure myself with another list of stuff I won't get around to doing?

I can't help it though. Maybe it's because we are moving and there are so many things we haven't done in Florida. Maybe it's because we are making plans of what we want to do in Nebraska. Whatever it is, ever since my cousin mentioned his bucket list, I catch myself thinking about my list several times a day. So I am going to do it. I'm writing down my bucket list. This isn't the final version, but these are things that have been swirling in my mind for quite some time.

1 - Go to Africa. Since watching a Billy Graham special on tv back in the 70s, I've dreamed of going to Africa. I've met a handful of people who have been there, and I've supported ministries there, but that hasn't quenched my desire to travel there.

2 - Go to Alaska. I'd love to go on a cruise to see whales and such, but I really want to live in Alaska. I would love to hang out with the Palin family. I could get used to that way of life very easily.

3 - Witness a live flash mob or be in a flash mob. Seriously, this is an emotional thing for me. I can barely keep from crying everytime I see one. It's just such a joyful thing. Everyone has a huge smile on their face and stops what they are doing to watch.

4 - Judge a contest. I love talent competitions. My dream job is to be an America's Got Talent judge, but I'd settle for being an alternate judge for the World Series of BBQ!

5 - Learn to swim. I don't really want to learn, but I do need to learn. I probably could swim right now except for my insane fear of getting my face wet. I should probably seek counseling for that.

6 - Run a marathon. Well, not really run one, but be in good enough condition again that I could run a marathon if I wanted to.


7 - Get hypnotized. I've seen people get hypnotized, and as teens, my friends and I dabbled in hypnotizing each other. It was a skill we learned thanks to a sleepover where a psychiatrist's daughter taught us how to do it. It worked and was really cool to do, but that doesn't really count. It'd be great if this could help me to get over my fear of water!


Well, there it is. My first draft at my bucket list. I didn't add the other ones like, get caught up on laundry or become a millionaire, because honestly, those are never going to happen.

No comments: